When Myrtle Allen opened the door of her home in 1964 and invited guests to ‘dine in a country house’ she may have hoped she would provide those who came with a reason to return. That she did and also created a thriving rural business that has had influence far beyond its location in Co Cork. As well as a thriving hotel known for its sumptuous dinners her endeavours encouraged some years later the founding of the Ballymaloe Cookery School by Darina and Rory based initially on Myrtles food at Ballymaloe
Sadly Myrtle passed away earlier this year and we felt it was essential to try to pay tribute to her legacy this year with a cookery course. This cookery course will celebrate what is most wonderful about the food that Myrtle created at Ballymaloe, using the very best ingredients that East Cork and Ireland have to offer. As well as providing students with the opportunity to see these dishes being made and to make some of them themselves, we will have a short talk on Myrtle Allen’s legacy and all head to Ballymaloe House on the first evening to enjoy dinner at Ballymaloe House.
What you’ll learn about
- Plenty of Ballymaloe Classics from our extensive repetoire
- An understanding about Myrtle Allens impact on Irish Food
- The history of Ballymaloe
- Two demonstration sessions, showing how classic Ballymaloe dishes are prepared from scratch, with overhead mirrors and two monitors showing close-up handiwork. Teachers share a wealth of knowledge through their expert tips and techniques. Students can ask questions and have the opportunity to taste the dishes prepared at the end of the sessions.
- Two morning practical sessions the following morning to try them out for your self
- Dinner in Ballymaloe House on Monday evening with Family members.
- A guided tour of our organic farm, gardens, dairy and glasshouses so you can see where much of our produce comes from.
- Breakfast each weekday morning.
Good to know
- A pack of the recipes will be provided for your ongoing reference
- Our Shop will be open for further inspiration: cookery books, equipment and select ingredients
Please note gallery is a selection of images but may not represent actual dishes featured on the course.