Summer Cookery Course 2020, 2021 & 2022
Modelled on our hugely popular 12 Week Certificate Course, this course is for those who may not have the time to attend our 12 Week Course but still want an immersive experience of learning to cook at Ballymaloe Cookery School.
This five week cookery school is designed to give you a really good grounding in cooking and baking. We will cover a wide range of subjects, styles and techniques so you feel confident and adept in the kitchen. The course will leave you with an extensive repertoire with everything from the tradional and classic to the current hottest trends.
Students will also get to spend time in the farm dairy, glasshouse, fermentory and bakery to explore all areas of the food industry and learn about the importance of seasonal and ethically produced food.
Things you will Learn
During the 5 weeks you will learn a wide range of techniques and recipes. Below is a small selection of the exciting things you can expect to learn.
Some of the topics the course covers:
- Everything about kitchen equipment and a good store cupboard
- Make real butter, yogurt and cheese in our farm dairy
- Make stocks and broths and a range of delicious soups
- Learn to make an impressive range of breads
- Creaming, mashing, roasting, stirfrying and caramelizing vegetables.
- How to make the perfect shortcrust pastry for your quiche, tart or flan.
- Hey pesto. How to make a delectable pesto, and a spontaneous homemade pasta.
- Pies, pies, pies. both sweet and savory, meat and vegetarian.
- How to identify and fillet fresh fish.
- How to pickle, ferment and preserve
- Learn to use herbs and spices to add magic to your cooking
- How to make a great range of starters, salads, main courses with lots of vegetarian options
- learn styles of cooking from all around the world
- how to forage for wild foods in the hedgerows and seashore
- How to make irresistible desserts, cookies and cakes
- and lots lots more..
This is just a selection of the recipes and techniques you will learn over the 5 weeks at Ballymaloe Cookery School.