There is a huge revival in fermented food, for good reason. Fermented foods have been a traditional part of diets around the world for centuries but in recent times, our Western diet has become increasingly deficient in many of the nutrients that fermented foods provide. Why? Because so much of our food is highly processed and most natural foods are now also pasteurised as a matter of course.
A diet rich in fermented foods is known to have tremendous health benefits. The process of fermentation increases vitamins, antioxidants, enzymes and beneficial bacteria naturally present in food, improving flavour, enhancing digestion and boosting immunity. In this half day course we’ll take the mystery out of this almost forgotten skill and provide the foundations to get you started.
What you’ll learn about
- A vast array of fermented food and drinks such as bread, wine, beer, cheese, cider, mead, coffee, tea, chocolate, pickles, salami, kimchi, sauerkraut, miso, soy sauce, yoghurt and kefir
- How easy it is to make and look after many of your own fermented foods at home, as well as a selection of our favourite recipes that use them. If you grow your own produce you will discover myriad ways to preserve the bounty of your harvest and enjoy it through the winter
- A tour of the organic farm, gardens, dairy and greenhouses
- A demonstration session, showing how dishes are prepared from scratch, with overhead mirrors and two monitors showing close-up handiwork. Teachers share a wealth of knowledge through their expert tips and techniques. Students can ask questions and have the opportunity to taste the dishes prepared at the end of the sessions
Good to know
- Lunch included; eat alongside fellow students, our teachers and gardeners
- A pack of the recipes will be provided for your ongoing reference
- Our Shop will be open for further inspiration: cookery books, equipment and select ingredients
- We’ll send home with some of our cultures to get you started
- There’s plenty to do and explore in the area
Terms and Conditions
All bookings for a course or event at Ballymaloe Cookery School are subject to our standard Terms and Conditions.